RE: tlug: Japanese

From: Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com>
Subject: RE: tlug: Japanese
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:28:29 +0900 (JST)

jonathan> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:
jonathan>
jonathan> > the arrow keys should work.  This is actually the main method of using kinput2.
jonathan> > Maybe the terminal entries are not fully compatible.
jonathan>
jonathan> Where they don't work is after you hit the space bar for kana-kanji
jonathan> conversion, you can't move around in the converted entry to edit just one
jonathan> character of it.  You can either accept the whole thing, or backspace over

Are you referring to the arrow keys or the way the Canna dictionary
parses words.
For example, the romaji
  watashinonamaehakureggudesu

will get translated into 私の名前はくれっ愚です at the first input.
However, after I press the space bar, I can use the arrow keys on the
same line to place the cursor over く and then use Ctrl-o to lengthen
the word until it becomes クレッグ.

  私の名前はクレッグです

jonathan> at PHT as well.  Maybe Kinput2 just can't do that and I'll have to live
jonathan> with it, but I miss that feature when I'm not in Windows.  Happily, I've

This probably has more to do with Canna than with kinput2.  It can probably
do what you want it to do, but the keys are probably different than on
your Windows machine.  There are other techniques for shortening
the word, marking the break points of words, and adding words to the
Canna dictionary.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station