RE: tlug: Japanese

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:

> Are you referring to the arrow keys or the way the Canna dictionary
> parses words.

The arrow keys, space bar, enter key do not behave normally in Japanese
input mode.  For example, to move the cursor up or down, forward or
backward, or to start a new line, I have to leave Japanese input mode, put
the cursor where I want it, then restart Japanese input mode.  Does your
system do this too?  Or did it?  If I can customize this, I'll spend some
time flogging this after the TL 2.0 release is out and installed and I
know I won't be changing anything for a while.  Or if it can't be changed,
I guess I'll just have to live with it.

My goal is to have a Japanese input environment that behaves just like an
English input environment, except the language being input isn't English.

Was Kinput2 originally written for Unix machines with a VT100 keyboard or
something?  If it was, would that explain the key behavior that seems odd
to a person with a PC keyboard?

Thanks,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station