tlug: my latest install: debian; mouse troubles

Help!

I have installed debian.  I enjoyed the ease of installation, but I must
have answered a question wrong.  My mouse doesn't work; to put it in simple
terms.

I have configured XF86 and when it starts the pointer just sits in dead
center and wont move.

Is it possible the problem is the link /dev/mouse; the gpm settings; or is
there any other possibility?

I have tried changing my XF86Config to show ps/2, or ms types.  I have even
'make menuconfig', 'make dep', 'make clean', 'make zImage' 'd the kernel
all over again to see if that was screwed up.

Any hints?  Oh Wise Men of the land of Linux, HELP me please!

Once I get this fixed, then I need to know how to set up my internet mail
connection which is why I switched to debian on a recommendation.

Eric S. Standlee
e-w.standlee@example.com
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691