Re: Re[2]: tlug: recommendable email software

> Which programs can handle multiple email addresses? When I say "handle",
Any pop3 fetcher can. There are basically two of them, popclient
and its successor fetchmail. The problem with fetchmail is that
it feeds the fetched mail back over port 25 (mailport) into your
MTA (usually sendmail), so you have to keep it running all the
time. This doesn't make a lot of sense in a leafsite that is
only occasionally connected to the Internet. Thus, I continue
using popclient. I made a script that I start after my after a
connection to the Internet is established. It looks like this:

sendmail -v -q
popclient -3 -u karlmax -p <my password> oberland.net

First I start sendmail in verbose mode (this way i know what's
going on) to send my outgoing mail out and then popclient to
fetch my mail. Thus my incoming mail finally winds up in
/var/spool/mail/karlmax and then I can look at it with any MUA
(elm, pine, etc.) I want. I just use one email address. In case
I use more I just have to add more lines with popclient and the
applicable parameters for the respective MX. Like this:

sendmail -v -q
popclient -3 -u <username1> -p <password1> <MX1>
popclient -3 -u <username2> -p <password2> <MX2>
popclient -3 -u <username3> -p <password3> <MX3>
popclient -3 -u <username4> -p <password4> <MX4>
popclient -3 -u <username5> -p <password5> <MX5>

and so forth (the above is for 5 email addresses).

This does not use any special security measures - but if you
wanna protect your mail privacy you better encrypt your mail
anyway.....

Hpe that helps.

                                Karl-Max Wagner
                                karlmax@example.com