RE: tlug: recommendable email software

-----Original Message-----
$B:9=P?M(B : D.A. Walter <warrior@example.com>
$B08@example.com(B : TLUG <tlug@example.com>
$BF|;~(B : 1998$BG/(B4$B7n(B10$BF|(B 18:29
$B7oL>(B : tlug: recommendable email software

>Can anybody recommend a simple email program which can handle multiple
>email addresses, works with POP3, and is relatively easy to configure

I keep waiting for Microsoft to port Outlook Express to Linux, but until
then (and no, I'm not holding my breath :-)  ), I think the answer is "no."
There don't seem to be many UNIX mail clients that talk to POP servers at
all, and I haven't yet seen one that handles multiple accounts.  Netscape
Mail works well with one, and you can also set up a program called fetchmail
to run as a daemon and get your mail from a POP server at an interval you
specify.  It's not too hard to do. I could send you a copy of my config file
for it (minus mail passwords, of course :-)   ) if that would help.
Fetchmail can be set up to handle multiple POP accounts, as well.  It will
dump all of the mail into your UNIX mailbox. From there, you can read it
with any mail client that allows you to set your "from" ID.  A lot of them
seem to not do that, instead just using the address that is local to your
system.

Having Netscape Mail grab the mail off of your mail spool (with fetchmail
doing your POP accounts) would cover all of your needs except the one for
Japanese, but perhaps TLUG will fix that problem with the Communicator 5.0
source.  Pine is available in a Japanese-enabled version, but I have not yet
found if there is a way to set my return address in it.  It always shows
mail as coming from jq@example.com, root@example.com, root@example.com, etc.  There
may be a way to change this directly by editing it's config file, but I
haven't attacked that yet.  It's on my project list.  Pine is the best
non-graphical MUA I've seen so far, but what I really want is an X-based,
Japanese-enabled MUA that supports multiple POP accounts and will let me put
in the mail address that should actually be replied to, and not arbitrarily
set my identity to what it is on my Linux box.  And I should not have to
manually edit config files and kick its butt for half a day to get it to
cooperate.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is yet any such animal.

But if I trap one, I'll post it here :-)

Jonathan