Re: tlug: Fired for choosing Linux?

I thought I could add a little perspective on this.  As a sort-of-IBM
employee (Tivoli Systems), I can say for sure that the best solution
hardly ever wins in the market.  I have worked for a company previously
that had a much better solution than SAP, and we got  killed by their
marketing muscle.  Especially in Japan, the perception of wide market
acceptance is more important than actual benefit.  For more proof, you
need only look at our good friends MS.  Windows 3.0 vs. Macintosh?  I
still don't know why Apple lost that war.

> brands...  Maybe what needs to happen is to make a big worldwide push for
> Linux as a brand name instead of a grassroots production, and more people
> will use the Linux systems... however, that will mean that several
> corporations will try to commercialize Linux which would defeat the
> purpose... especially since Linux is all about volunteer and sharing,
> IMHO... and this alone is one thing that makes Linux so cool

I really have to disagree with this point.  Aren't RedHat and Caldera
already doing this?  I think that these companies are adding to the
popularity of linux if anything.  Personally, I think it would be great
to see RedHat or maybe TurboLinux (no advertising money from Scott) be
the next dominant operating system.

One more point is that Ziff-Davis and Jesse Berst are by no means
non-partisan opinions.  99% of their business depends on Windows being
the dominant platform.  Don't be suprised if Jesse got an extra $10K
from Bill for spilling that story...

zuk
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station