RE: tlug: Fired for choosing Linux?

I agree... lots of companies reward their employees for choosing big names
such as IBM or MS, etc.

In our company, the idiots there just purchased a new Solaris machine plus
Windows NT servers, Lotus Domino, etc.

My boss and I were trying to save the company money by just using NT servers
and Linux machines, but they didn't want to go with our plan... We finally
told them to give the money to us, and we would make a network that was
better than the current NOS/Solaris solution, but they wouldn't let us...
really sucked...

For our division, my boss and I use a NT Server/Linux combo, and it works
great.  In fact, people from other divisions are constantly asking us to add
them to our domain... It just doesn't make sense to me... here, my boss and
I hold the most popular domain in the company, but the main network people
won't believe us that it can actually work on a larger scale...

Now, we have the new expensive system, and it works just like my domain... I
am wondering if it is more of an image thing or something... kind of like
having brand names even though they are just as good as some no-name
brands...  Maybe what needs to happen is to make a big worldwide push for
Linux as a brand name instead of a grassroots production, and more people
will use the Linux systems... however, that will mean that several
corporations will try to commercialize Linux which would defeat the
purpose... especially since Linux is all about volunteer and sharing,
IMHO... and this alone is one thing that makes Linux so cool

In any case, I figure it's a pretty fucked up corporate world we live in any
ways, with lots of contradictions and such... I think we will continue to
try and promote Linux in our office at least...

Mikio

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: