Re: tlug: Fired for choosing Linux?

Hi,
that article is more about corporate politics than anything else.
I think that use of Linux would always be a plus if used at home.
It shows interest in the technology.

The issue of lack  "cover you ass"  protection for Linux is
important.  Perhaps it might be good to get many people
to agree to its implementation so that a person can share
the blame if something goes wrong?  However, what happens
if it succeeds and saves the company thousands of dollars
regulary?  Do you get a promotion?   What happens when you're
the only one at work that knows how to solve that init
problem on Solaris, because, yes, you are a Linux geek and
on Linux it was a lot harder in the old days?

I'm not that familar with the corporate politics, but there
would also appear to be potential benefits for those that take
risks.

I know a lot of people that run small companies of under
50 people and I can say that implementing Linux would probably
be a big plus.  The managers of these smaller companies tend
to love any employee that reduces their costs.  These people
are usually much more accustomed to risk and tend to reward
other risk takers.  Of course, make sure that it is a quality
Linux install and not some hack job.  Once it is running and
stable, make sure that you get another machine to hack.
Do not under any circumstance fall into the habit of
upgrading a work machine just for the thrill of it.  Treat
it like NT and upgrade it only when a major release comes
out or a security patch.

Regards,
Craig

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: