RE: tlug: RE: Permanent System

    Craig> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Jim Schweizer wrote:

    >> Unless there's a hardware problem, I don't see that it matters
    >> *where* the system is located.

Well, it needs to be located somewhere where it can get fixed.  One
problem with Tsukuba is that although I can get _some_ things pretty
quickly, like hard drives and monitors, they're expensive.  Other
things, like 3.5" HD to 5.25" bay adapters, simply require mail order
or going to Tokyo as far as I can tell.

    Craig> I would like to say my opinion.  I think it does matter
    Craig> where the server is located for three reasons: 1) Internet
    Craig> routing is not equal in Japan, especially concerning Sinet,

This is really important.  Nobody ever tells us anything, and there
have been some upgrades.  But transfers to/from Britain being an order
of magnitude faster on throughput than transfers to/from Tokyo have
been a fact of life for me for some time, and I don't know how to find
out if/when that will change.  I also don't really own any free IP
numbers at the moment; I can probably get more but I really should
check and see.

    Craig> 2) might be nice in the future to have a modem on the
    Craig> server to allow TLUG members without Internet access to
    Craig> access the server or to allow maximum point to point file

"Tokyo."

    Craig> ftp download or something?  I tried the anonymous ftp on
    Craig> Stephen's server, but I guess he turned it off.  It took me

I don't have one, lost in the disk crash of September.  At the moment
I don't have time to install the replacement, and I don't know exactly
what is backed up.

The biggest issue for me at the moment is lack of time.

Steve

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: