RE: tlug: RE: Permanent System

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Unless there's a hardware problem, I don't see that it matters *where* the
> system is located.

This is quite a nice discussion and shows the true cooperative spirit
of Linux.

I would like to say my opinion.  I think it does matter where
the server is located for three reasons: 1) Internet routing
is not equal in Japan, especially concerning Sinet, 2) might
be nice in the future to have a modem on the server to allow
TLUG members without Internet access to access the server
or to allow maximum point to point file downloads, 3) physical
access to the server might be important for stuff like adding
a tape backup, swapping a crashed disk, or changing a fan or
something.

I'm still optimistic about the long term goal of getting
enough money through fund raising so that TLUG can rent
bandwidth.  I think an interim solution, through the generous
cooperation of someone with access to the academic network,
is fine.  However, I was wondering if there was any way to
test the bandwidth throughput through a large ftp download
or something?  I tried the anonymous ftp on Stephen's server,
but I guess he turned it off.  It took me a while to bring up
the www.hi-tech.ac.jp home page.  Can I try it with an FTP?

Though, considering the momentum we have at this point, it might
be better to pursue the interim solution of first getting the
server up anywhere on the Internet, then seeking to improve
bandwidth or location.  If we take up another collection, we
might be able to pay for the shipment of the server.  Also,
since TLUG does have a bank account with financial records
that can be verified, I think we're in a position to solicit
donations that *are _not_ tax deductable*.

Just some of my thoughts.  I do find it fascinating and wonderful
how people are volunteering time, equipment, and effort to
make Linux and TLUG better.

Regards,
Craig

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: