Re: tlug: Umlauts & Kanji

tlug note from Paul Gampe <paulg@example.com>
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Thomas B(J$Bätzler wrote:

tbaetzle>Problem #1 was how to get the server to tell the
tbaetzle>browser that it's delivering a japanese document.
tbaetzle>I hacked that by creating a MIME type named
tbaetzle>text/html;charset=iso-2022-jp for the extension jhtml.
tbaetzle>I doubt it's the way it was supposed to be done, but
tbaetzle>at least it seemed to work. Or can anybody offer a
tbaetzle>hint of how I can do this better with Apache? A SJIS
tbaetzle>document which I created in NJStar displayed just
tbaetzle>fine - which led to problem

Hi Thomas,

The apache web server (version 1.2+) can be configured to negotiate
language specific content with the directive <AddLanguage>:

	http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addlanguage

and for browsers pre HTTP/1.1 you can use the <LanguagePriority> directive
to set which language is delivered first.

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_negotiation.html#languagepriority

Cheers,
Paul.
mailto:paulg@example.com     phoneto:81-3-3351-5977     faxto:81-3-3353-6096
The students learn that effective action arises out of silence and a clear
sense of being.  In this they find a source of peace.  They  discover that
the person who is down-to-earth can do what needs doing  more  effectively
than the person who is merely busy.  - Lao Tzu's    "Tao Te Ching"   500BC

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997