Re: tlug: Umlauts & Kanji

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Thomas Bätzler wrote:

tbaetzle>--------------------------------------------------------
tbaetzle>tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
tbaetzle>--------------------------------------------------------

tbaetzle>fine - which led to problem #2: how can I mix German
tbaetzle>and Japanese, or rather Umlauts and Kana/Kanji in
tbaetzle>the same frame? The way I understand what I read in
tbaetzle>Lunde, it's not possible to mix those with SJIS, since
tbaetzle>the Umlauts are not included in the character table.
tbaetzle>How'bout Unicode? Anybody interested in more
tbaetzle>results should I ever get them?

I'd be interested in more results.  I've never mixed German
and Japanese.  I did install the unicode fonts in Linux and
can use Netscape Communicator 4.0 for Linux to display
Japanese and other unicode characters when I set the encoding
to utf-8 (unicode text format).  If you have the server
running on an intranet, it might be something to consider.
Otherwise, I don't think many non-Linux systems can display
unicode, so your Japanese learning program would not be viewable
to a lot of people if it was on the Internet.

Regards,
Craig (novice on this topic)

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997