Re: tlug: Gimp novice question

tlug note from matt@example.com
Hi--

To get back to the original question . . .

In <Pine.HPP.3.95.970831205243.15784A-100000@example.com>, on
08/31/97
   at 09:04 PM, Craig Oda <craig@example.com> said:

:In this case I have a 81x31 MySQL logo that I would like to change into
:something like 60x60.  A simple size reduction  won't suffice since it
:reduces the legibility.
. . . . . . .
:My problem is that I don't know how to change the canvas size. When I
:cut and paste the SQL using the cut and paste rectangular select, it
:only appears visible in the 81x31 space.  I've changed the size using
:"Image" - "Resize."  I get this checked light-grey and dark-grey
:canvas, but I can't paste the image to it.  Any advice?

Hmm . . . I think I've encountered this. My approach would be to get the
image looking right and then crop it or shrink it to size. It's sort of
a makeshift, roundabout process (I'm sure there's a better way, but . .
.):

First you would make a new layer at the original size, and paste your
objects to the new layer. The layer should have an opaque fill to hide
the original image. Then you---wait: I'm assuming you've found the
Layers dialog box, but have you found the popup menu within the Layers
dialog? The one that you get by right-clicking on the name of a layer?
Ok, you make the new layer, paste the objects, then (making sure the new
layer is selected) select 'Anchor New Layer' (?--don't have Linux
running at the moment) from the Layers popup menu.

Next step is 'Merge Visible Layers'. Finally, cropping or shrinking. You
should then have something that will work as an icon.

The catch is that you now have an opaque background, which may not be
what you want. There must be a way to make it disappear, but I haven't
found it yet.

Hope this helps.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido

matt@example.com

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997