tlug: console

tlug note from =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCPVBAbkNSNSobKEo=?= <txdegawa@example.com>
Hi, I need help.

I install Slackware Linux Version 3.0
Kernel Ver 2.0.0
I thought When I first turn on the computer and login as root.
I should login console instead of tty1.
I only can login tty1 as root.
Is this right?
I don't have a file name called console at /dev

Also

Boot message said
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
Is it supposed to be like this "Readonly"?

Please let me know what I can do.
Thank you very much.

Tomo