Re: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

>     Jim> Do it. Please. I add the occasional colloquialisms, but I
>     Jim> don't come by a lot.
>
> Um, copyrights?  I do have one slang dictionary (Using Japanese Slang,
> Kassechau & Eguchi) which is quite good, and and I found a friend's
> Japanese Slang Uncensored (Constantine) also good.  They're generally
> available in good book stores (Yaesu Book Center, probably Kinokuniya
> or Maruzen, too).  But I'm leery of scanning them in, even though in
> both cases the text would have to be extremely heavily edited since
> they're not in dictionary form, but rather meanings and etymologies
> are mixed in the prose/

I can recommend Yonekawa's "Beyond Polite Japanese" from the Power
Japanese series.  Ditto on the copyright concerns and forget about
scanning.  Just typing it in is probably faster and less error prone.
(This opinion comes from a friend who worked for several months on a
project to digitize old dictionaries...in the end, shipping the pages
to Bangladesh for input and checking them in the U.S. was the best
solution!)

- Ken