Re: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

On Nov 19,  9:54am, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
} Subject: Re: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

>> I had no problem with running trans.el in "raw" form; I don't know if
>> it compiles.

It it relatively recent, and from Jeffrey Friedl, so it should work 8-)}

>> I have edict.el-- compiling now; the -- means that I had
>> to comment out half of the morphological transformations to get it to
>> work.  So if I have dictionary form, I'm fine, but currently I can't
>> find any conjugations of consonant-stem verbs :-).  If'n'when I get it
>> going, I'll let y'all know, of course.

It is older. I emailed the author about it a while ago.

>>  I was wondering if there were any dictionaries out
>>     >>> there of colloquial Japanese.
>>
>>     Jim> Do it. Please. I add the occasional colloquialisms, but I
>>     Jim> don't come by a lot.
>>
>> Um, copyrights?

I didn't mean start keying in an existing book. That's a no-no. It is fine
to *use* existing dictionaries for "accurate lexicographical information"
as Nelson put it, but plagiarism to copy entries. (Often it is a fine
line.)

>> You would want to be careful with this though; slang is often used
>> like "seasonal words" in haiku, to mark a person's origin.  So it
>> would be best if possible to mark slang and colloquialisms with their
>> regional affiliations.

That's a good idea. A few EDICT entries have kansai/kantou tags.

>> I personall plan to do a technical EDICT for Economics; that's a
>> project for next term.

And one that will be very welcome for many people. My plans include a good
computing/communication/IT terminolgy glossary. I have/had the beginnings
of one built from a file of terminology from JSA combined with culling
from the glossary files Microsoft put out. The latest versions were lost
in my HDD crash, but I might get further in Jan/Feb.

Jim
----
jwb@example.com