Re: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

On Nov 19, 12:01am, Craig Oda wrote:
} Subject: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

>> I'm starting to read Japanese short stories by loading the
>> text into mule and flying through it with trans and trans.el
>> I have 32 megs of RAM and a 166mhz Pentium and I load the enamdict
>> section of Japanese place and proper names by default.  It is very
>> satisfying to be able to find the readings of Japanese names.
>> This is awesome.

Have you modified trans.el and edict.el? They are a bit elderly, and
people tell me hey won't compile in the latest environments.

>> I do have some problem reading colloquial Japanese or katakana
>> words.  I was wondering if there were any dictionaries out
>> there of colloquial Japanese.  At this point I can get
>> through technical documents pretty fast because I know the
>> background information, but I want to be able to read Japanese
>> stories as a hobby.  The edict and enamdict files are pretty
>> standard in format so it should be easy to import some dictionary
>> of conversational Japanese.  I'm sure that someone has already
>> done it out there????  :-)

Do it. Please. I add the occasional colloquialisms, but I don't come by a
lot.

>> Oh, on another subject, I think someone was mentioning that they
>> couldn't cut and paste Japanese from Netscape into xjdic22.
>> I can do this okay and I can translate the Japanese fine.

It was probably me. Here at Monash I use kterm on my (Ultrix) DECstation,
but I have to run Netscape from a Sun, because there have never been any
Ultrix binaries. I think the cock-up is between the Sun and Digital
handling of cut buffers (all deep in the bowels of X). Similarly, I can't
cut from kterm to xterm, but I can the other way.

Jim
-------
jwb@example.com