Re: [tlug] FotoKilof gui for Imagemagick

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 5:43 PM Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

> >> I'd missed out the explanation, sorry. On Ubuntu (*), and derivatives
> >> like Mint, `python` is Python 2 and you have to type `python3` to get
> >> Python 3. Similarly `pip` is tied to Python2, so you normally need to
> >> type `pip3`.
>
> Jim wrote:
> > Starting with Ubuntu 20.04, there are packages python-is-python3 and
> > python-is-python2 which create symlinks to set the default version.
>
> So is the python 2 dep in Ubuntu completely gone now? Or is python 2.7
> still going to be there, under the surface? (I tried to find something
> authoritative, but could only find pages from 2018 saying they didn't
> think they'd be able to remove all the python 2.x deps before 18.04 LTS...)

Oh...  Seems those dependencies are gone now and Python2 can be
removed completely, if I wanted to...

-----
$ sudo aptitude purge python2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpython2-stdlib{u} libpython2.7-minimal{u} libpython2.7-stdlib{u}
  python2{p} python2-minimal{u} python2.7{u} python2.7-minimal{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 16.2 MB will be freed.
 python-is-python2 : Depends: python2 but it is not going to be installed

     Remove the following packages:
1)     python-is-python2 [2.7.17-4 (groovy, now)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpython2-stdlib{u} libpython2.7-minimal{u} libpython2.7-stdlib{u}
  python-is-python2{a} python2{p} python2-minimal{u} python2.7{u}
  python2.7-minimal{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 16.3 MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
-----

I didn't notice earlier because this is an upgraded system.  (This is
Ubuntu 20.10.)

Ray

Home | Main Index | Thread Index