Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 18.04 - changing grub parameters

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 20:43, <fgs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2020-04-13 11:09, Jim Breen wrote:
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
> Hummm... " nomodeset " is a compatibility argument in my book... I would
> very much wait for 20.04 which is just around the corner and I bet my
> bottom dollar it will fix the system without " arguments "...
[,,,]
I'm not that comfortable with it either, but if it lets me get on with
my installation I can live with it.

One issue at the moment is that the system won't return from
suspension. The discussions on this problem very much focus on the
behaviour of the graphics card, and surprise, surprise, the fixes
involve more variants of "nomodeset".  I'll try "hibernation" as an
alternative, but I may just go ahead without a working suspension
capability and wait for 20.04 to try it again.

Jim

PS: I got Japanese input (via mozc) working without too much trauma.

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University