[tlug] Ubuntu 18.04 - changing grub parameters

Today I decided it was time to get a new workhorse notebooks I bought
an HP Pavilion 15-cx0009tx, which seemed to have plenty of grunt. I
installed Ubuntu18.04 on it, and came to grief. Whenever I boot it it
freezes during or just after logging in. Mrs Google says it's a
not-uncommon problem with NVIDIA graphics cards.

All the fixes people suggest involve editing the grub parameters, and
say to press "E" during boot to get the grub page. I can't make it do
that. "Esc" gets me to usual boot options (F9, F10, etc.), but nowhere
does "E" get me to the grub menu.

Before I turn to other forums, I thought I'd ask the TLUG experts if
they had any suggestions.

TIA

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University