Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 18.04 - changing grub parameters

Hi Jim,

On 12/4/2020 8:23 pm, Jim Breen wrote:
Today I decided it was time to get a new workhorse notebooks I bought
an HP Pavilion 15-cx0009tx, which seemed to have plenty of grunt. I
installed Ubuntu18.04 on it, and came to grief. Whenever I boot it it
freezes during or just after logging in. Mrs Google says it's a
not-uncommon problem with NVIDIA graphics cards.

I've noticed Ubuntu's support of NVidia cards has improved noticeably the last couple of years. As it's a new system, you might want to give Ubuntu 19.10 a try -- maybe it solves some problems that 18.04 had? Of course, if you want an LTS, in a couple of weeks, 20.04 will be out.

I am on 19.10 with an computer with an NVidia card, but won't go up to 20.04 for a few months, I think.

Good luck!

Ray