Re: [tlug] formatting HDD leaves 11.7 GB untouched

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, 14:31 Curt Sampson, <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2019-12-02 20:29 +0900 (Mon), Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> For now, removing the existing partition and creating a new one did the
> trick. Would it be "better" in any way, to use ext4 instead of NTFS? It is
> not really important though, since I am now perfectly happy!

Isn't the Linux driver for NTFS still read-only?
The one in kernel, I think yes.
There has been ntfs-3g that has been stable enough for many years.

That said, for any linux-only work (i.e. NOt sharing data with Win), use ext4 and don't worry about "lost" GBs. Depending on the type of files you plan to store, you can optimize the amount of metadata, get rid of reserved space and so on. But you'll have hard time and low performance puting your / on NTFS.

Cheers,
Kalin.