Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On 13/3/2019 8:01 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2019-03-12 23:13 +0800 (Tue), Raymond Wan wrote:

On 12/3/2019 11:52 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:

Oh...oops!  Somehow I thought there were few Ubuntu users.
Sounds like I'm the only one that openly admits I'm using
it.  :-)

Um...I think I just openly admitted I use it. :-)

Sorry, I think I was too sleepy when I wrote my message. My last sentence should really have said, "Until you admitted it, I thought I was the only one that openly admits I'm using it."...

:-)

Thanks for the steps....
Just remember, in my world there's always a top-level `Test` script in
the repo, that should usually just do everything necessary to set up
the environment and, when it can't (because it requires manual
intervention or is just doing something that probably should have
explicit user approval) it should produce a very clear (to a
developer) set of messages explaining what's going on and what the
developer needs to do to continue.

I'll keep that in mind; thanks for making it easy to start! Something I should consider for my repositories.

By the way, this "install your development tools in your personal
account" thing is normal amongst a lot of languages....

I've been doing that a lot recently with data analysis.  I'm
almost exclusively using anaconda / miniconda / conda [not
sure what's the proper term ... guess it's conda?] now.  I
wasn't aware that programming languages were heading in that
direction as well.

Actually, they've been doing this kind of thing for a long time:
* Perl's CPAN has been online since 1995.
* RubyGems was started in 2003.
* Haskell's had the Cabal package manager since 2005.
* Python's pip package manager was first released in 2011 and has
   been a standard part of Python distributions since shortly after.
* You mention the Anaconda Python distribution (built on pip and
   other things), which first came out in 2012.
* The Node.js JavaScript interpreter has had NPM since 2012, and
   there are various others (yarn, bower).

There was a time when Debian/Ubuntu system administrators were advised to favour installing Perl/Python packages over their CPAN/pip equivalents. (As a LaTeX users, I'll add CTAN to that...)

But things seem to have changed and a "personal account" is favoured. I'm can't remember when the advice changed, but it's working very well for me with Anaconda since I can now have a per-project environment. So I guess I should move to that.

In a multi-user environment, it does make system administration easier...

Will do!  It's a good step for the TLUG site as many web
sites seem to be moving away from CMS'.

Oh, static website builders like this are still very much a "Content
Management System"; just one that keeps the source code for the site
in a Git repo rather than a MySQL database. Which, when you step back
and think about it, is rather more sensible actually. (Who TF outside
of website developers keeps their versioned source code in MySQL?)

Ah... Yes, quite true. I mistakenly assumed that CMS' were those that were built on databases, but indeed, MySQL isn't the only way to manage content.

Thanks for the clarification!

Ray