Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

Hi all,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> The current issue with the second option is that the initial build
> "from scratch" (i.e., on a system without Haskell Stack and Hakyll) is
> quite long because the compiler has to be downloaded and Hakyll and
> its 150 dependencies has to be built. (This takes about 10-15 minutes
> on oldish 4-core laptops and exceeds the 30 minute limit--though just
> barely--in Netlify's build containers.) That's just the first time,
> though; a clean build of the site, including the Haskell code that
> defines the site build procedure, takes only a second or two after
> that.

I know there aren't many Ubuntu users among us, but for the few that
are, I did play around with it (or at least try) on Sunday and failed
using the Ubuntu package.

If you install the haskell-stack package under Ubuntu 18.04 and run
"stack build", you will get this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/haskell-stack/+bug/1786197 .
The line starting with "AesonException".  I didn't try downloading it
without apt, yet, though.  If you're on Ubuntu, you might want to do
that first.  (Though, of course trying the apt package doesn't take a
lot of time.)

Thanks Jim, Justin, and Curt for making such a big start!  Static web
site generation is something I've been looking at for sometime (not
with Hakyll) and perhaps seeing others do it has moved it higher up on
my to-do list.  :-)

Ray