Re: [tlug] Stymied by emacs character display

 " On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 14:11, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote
> Jim Breen writes:
>  >  in On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 19:30, Stephen J. Turnbull
>  > <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote
>  > > got corrupted somehow and you have a lonely "€" (which has decimal
>
>  > Hmmm. The "€" in UTF8 is e2 82 ac (U+20AC).
>
> I don't know how you (of all people on this earth! OK, I guess we can
> leave out Ken Lunde ;-) got EURO SIGN out of that.

Easy. It was what was on the screen in front of me. It arrived in
a base64-encoded block of text, so I could blame Gmail
bungling the decode, but I have found it VERY solid in the past.

I just used "base64 -d" on that block and it produced:
`a lonely "€[0080]" (which has ...'  so it may indeed be a Gmail decode
bungle.

[...]

> Some horrible autobogotification logic in your email client?

Maybe. Your email did say "Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8",
so text with a byte with its MSB set is sort-of supposed to be in UTF-8.

I see your mailer identified itself as:

"VM 8.2.0b under 21.5 (beta34) "kale" 9b89a5f2d5b3 XEmacs Lucid
(x86_64-apple-darwin17.5.0)"

Those magic letters "XEmacs" mean that it Can Do No Wrong.

> P.S. No, I wouldn't have been surprised it if were my bad, in fact I
> assumed it was.  That's why I went to the trouble of decoding the
> received message step by step.

Harunodo.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University