Re: [tlug] Stymied by emacs character display

Jim Breen writes:

 >  in On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 19:30, Stephen J. Turnbull
 > <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote

 > > got corrupted somehow and you have a lonely "€" (which has decimal

 > Hmmm. The "€" in UTF8 is e2 82 ac (U+20AC).

I don't know how you (of all people on this earth! OK, I guess we can
leave out Ken Lunde ;-) got EURO SIGN out of that.  At least as I
received the message from TLUG (*not* as I *sent* it, as I *received*
it) the message body was tagged as encoded in UTF-8 and transfer-
encoded in BASE64, and the 'lonely "Whatever"' is encoded 0xC2 0x80,
which decoded from UTF-8 is 2*64 + 0 = 128, as expected (by me).

Some horrible autobogotification logic in your email client?

Regards,

P.S. No, I wouldn't have been surprised it if were my bad, in fact I
assumed it was.  That's why I went to the trouble of decoding the
received message step by step.