[tlug] Stymied by emacs character display

Stuart Luppescu writes:

 > I'm generating a report from an rmarkdown document

What language(s) are contained in this document?  What is it encoded
in (UTF-8 I'm pretty sure, but confirmation would be nice)?

 > When I try to generate the report I get error messages like this:
 > ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:\200€ not set up for use
 > with LaTeX.

That's clearly from LaTeX, not Emacs.  Which LaTeX extension are you
using to process Unicode?  Have you tried others (XeLaTeX, LuaTeX,
LaTeXCJK)?

The message is hard to make sense of.  My best guess is that the file
got corrupted somehow and you have a lonely "€" (which has decimal
value 128 or octal value 200) in it somewhere.  That byte is legal
only as a traling character in UTF-8.  You can enter it in Emacs with
C-q 2 0 0 RET I think.

Steve