Re: [tlug] Autologin/password trouble

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 2:42 PM Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:

> On 2018/10/14 20:05, Raymond Wan wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >

> > On Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:55 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz
> > wrote:
> >> Since both phenomena occurred at the same time, I somehow suspect them
> >> to be related.
>
> >> In that case, have you tried updating your OS or desktop?
> I forgot.
> I did run the sudo aptget update and later upgrade commands.
> So the installation should be up-to-date (Mint 17.2).
> I tried to find out on the net how to upgrade to 18 or so, but that
> seems to be NOT recommended
> and apparently also requires advanced computer skills.
> Also, the autologin still does not work.

Based on the fact that the problem persists when you created another
account, I guess it is a setting on the system.

Indeed, what you're describing seems to me to be an "inconvenience".
You can still work...it's just annoying to enter a password so often.
Given that, I suppose doing an upgrade would be overkill.  I don't
know if it's a matter of advanced computer skills or not...  I think
many people in your shoes would opt to avoid an upgrade for such an
issue.  Which can fail and would require re-installation...

Having said that, it seems Mint 17.2 is based on Ubuntu 14.04
(https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_cinnamon.php)?  Ubuntu 14.04 is
a long-term release that will be supported for 5 years.  So, its end
of life would be next April anyway (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases).
So, while nothing says you can't stay on an out-dated release after
the end-of-life, I think as you encounter more and more issues, at
some point, it'll be in your best interest to do an upgrade.

I don't know about Mint, but with Ubuntu, I waited a bit too long with
a non-LTS version.  That is, I waited until its support had ended and
another version was released.  By then, I found out I couldn't do an
upgrade any more using the standard upgrade command.  Re-installation
was my only option.  So...I'm not trying to twist your arm, but you
can't wait too long.

Anyway, I can't think of anything to help you with your problem.  If
no one can give you any useful suggestions, perhaps you can try
askubuntu.  As Mint is based on Ubuntu, I presume no one will give you
a hard time over there.

Ray