Re: [tlug] Autologin/password trouble

Hi Thomas,

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:55 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
Since both phenomena occurred at the same time, I somehow suspect them
to be related.
They are not really "serious", but I would still like to know what is
going on - and if possible correct this glitch.

Can anybody help me with this?

I don't use Mint and don't have a suggestion to solve your problem...

But as no one else has offered anything, I thought I'd suggest this at least, in case you haven't tried.

Sometimes the OS can be set to install updates automatically. I actually have that set and don't want that...but I'm too lazy to type the few keystrokes to find out how to stop it. :-)

But one way to probably rule that out is to try creating a new account on your computer. Then, log in with it and see if you experience the same problem. Sometimes, a setting might have been made within your home directory (i.e., maybe by you, but more likely by a program without telling you).

If you see the same problem, then *maybe* it's caused by an update to the system. (Or, it may not be...). But if you don't see the same problem, then "good" news...it probably means there is some setting in your home directory that's causing it.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what to do from here. My next suggestion is perhaps dumb because it's quite time consuming. I'd suggest doing a recursive ls of all your files in your home directory (focussing on those in the .* directories in your home directory) and sort by date. Then focus on the files which have changed since the problem started. If it wasn't too long ago, hopefully this list is small...but this list could also be very long and that's why this suggestion is dumb...

Then, you'd compare these files with those in the new user's home directory and hopefully you can find the setting that caused this behaviour. ...of course, another possibility is that this isn't caused by a setting but it truly is a bug. In that case, have you tried updating your OS or desktop?

Ray