Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:49:50 +0200
- From: Jens John <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
>From the looks of it, I suspect that AMDSB950 has a "fake-RAID" chip which cannot do RAID on its own but needs additional operating system support (see e.g. ). The driver situation on Linux seems unclear. So I suggest that if you want some kind of stable RAID configuration, you drop the board's RAID functionality and focus on a software RAID setup in Linux (possibly with LVM, your choice, though IMO LVM is always a usability improvement) or purchase a real RAID controller card, if possible from a widely-used vendor like LSI (which has in-tree drivers) to bypass issues with crappy hardware and firmware. Note that should you choose to use the SATA port multiplier at all, SMART command passthrough may be an issue, making the monitoring of the drives' health difficult or impossible (typically, you'd use the smartmontools for this, but some hardware like port multipliers requires custom SATA commands to be able to address specific drives behind a port multiplier). I suggest you crosscheck with the smartmontools mailing lists to see if there are issues with the hardware you're looking to use.  https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225489
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Rust Control
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links