Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...

On 06/23/2018 12:23 AM, Stephen Lee wrote:
CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
- A Kuroto Shikou 10-port SATA3 controller card which is mounted in the
second PCIe x16 slot (x4) (and which reports it is AHCI

EXCEPT:

When I boot up, I can only see two of the controller card mounted HDDs.
If you are talking about this card

http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/interface/ata_sata/sata3i10-pcie/

Yes.   That one.

It says it is an ASM1062 (PCIe 2 port SATA controller) plus two JMB575
(1 to 5 port SATA port multiplier).  Port multipliers should in theory
work under linux, but it is not a very common configuration so it is
possible there are some bugs handling them, e.g. this one:

I read through the entire exchange, note the patch offered, and D/L'ed it.

The Next Stupid Question is where to go to learn how to apply said patch and where to apply it.  This machine is a single-purpose machine and the worst I can do is require a reinstallation of the O/S from DVD ... right?

MY IDEA, SO FAR:

After reading Ray's comments, I think that I will try a four-disk raid by connecting four of the six-disk array to the motherboard's SATA connections, giving me the RAID 5 disk, SSD, and CD/DVD automatically at bootup.

Then I'll try to work out how to apply the patch and connect the two remaining original RAID disks and the two "free" HDDs to the card to see whether I can now see four more HDDs.

What could possibly go wrong?  Right?

CL