Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 00:06:41 +0800
- From: Raymond Wan <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Schwartz, Fernando G. <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > On 06/22/2018 11:39 AM, CL wrote: >> or whether I can ... to get the setup I think I want. Can anyone >> suggest a possible working setup. I am not sure I have all of the >> software required or that I have hardware bits connected to the right >> other hardware. >> >> O/S is Lubuntu 18.04. No RAID or LVM drivers are installed. > > And that's the problem (BTW, face this all the time). If you set "RAID" > at the BIOS, that's "hardware RAID" board taking over, and that means > (almost certainly) a Linux software driver for the distro mandatory. And > that (certainly) means you're locked down (to one or two) distros (... a > Linux enterprise world catch right there!). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I don't think this is true. I mean, whenever I've enabled a RAID at BIOS, I haven't had to install special Linux software drivers. Instead, when the OS boots up, it usually sees the RAID as a single drive (i.e., it doesn't even realize it's made up of a set of drives). Having said that, I've always used Ubuntu so if you last statement about being locked down to one or two distros means Ubuntu is one of them, then I guess that might be my issue. Maybe you can clarify what you meant? Ray
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] VPN?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links