Re: [tlug] VPN?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018, at 10:11, David J Iannucci wrote:
> * Need to be able to use on iOS (and Linux of course)
> * Don't want to pay more than $4/month
> * I only care about privacy, not circumventing regional restrictions, or
>   heavy b/w use like torrenting or streaming.
> * Don't want to use an NSA (or worse, FSB) honeypot :=)
> * Would prefer one based in a jurisdiction outside of the US, but this
>   is probably not a dealbreaker if all the other boxes are checked.

If cost is such a restrictive factor, and if you'd be fine with rolling your own, you could deploy a IPSec VPN gateway on a cheap cloud instance, based on either Linux (strongswan) or OpenBSD (preferred; much simpler to configure). It's the "standard" enterprise VPN protocol and widely supported; e.g. the iOS VPN client has built-in support for IPSec connectivity. Same goes for macOS and Windows. On Linux, IPSec connectivity is easy to achieve too by using NetworkManager with the strongswan client plugin or, if needed, by configuring a strongswan client manually. Though the amount of documentation on IPSec may be a bit overwhelming at first if you're not familiar with the topic already.