Re: [tlug] VPN?

On 2018-06-12 17:53 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> BTW, like Curt I wonder why you're using a commercial VPN service for
> "security" in the first place....
> It adds multiple points at which a
> MITM exploit can occur, unlike a direct TLS (HTTPS or SSH) connection.

To clarify, that assumes you're not using end-to-end security (TLS or
SSH) over the VPN, in which case the VPN makes no real difference.

End-to-end security is relatively easy compared to almost any other
alternative, which is why it's also generally a lot more secure.
(Difficult == insecure, basically, not only due to misconfiguration
but due to intended but wrong configuration when you make a mistake in
analyzing the system.)

TLDR: "Home" users (and many "business" ones) should be using VPNs for
connectivity (so they can talk to things they couldn't otherwise talk
to) and only TLS and SSH for security.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974