Re: [tlug] Open source license (wikipedia)

>> words in a given text. Now ask yourself, would you need a license to publish how
>> many characters and words are in any given copyrighted text? Absolutely not.
>
> Unless the original license terms forbid this?

The license can forbid it all it wants, it won't stand up in court. Performing statistical calculations on a text does not create a derivative work unless the calculated (and published) statistics are such that the original text can be reconstructed from it. This is your litmus test. Can you reliably reconstruct the original text? If so, it is a derivative work. If not, then it isn't.

On 4 May 2018 at 22:29, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> words in a given text. Now ask yourself, would you need a license to publish how
> many characters and words are in any given copyrighted text? Absolutely not.

Unless the original license terms forbid this? (This is what the BCCWJ
does.)  (E.g. See article 4 of
http://pj.ninjal.ac.jp/corpus_center/bccwj/en/doc/sub/BCCWJ_ContractAcademic_EN.pdf
)

Wikipedia is under the GFDL, and I don't see anything explicit about
statistical analysis, one way or the other.
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Darren