[tlug] UEFI Partition for New Debian Install

New (for me) problem.  My in-box backup HDD went Tango Union (thankfully, just after a full transfer to offline storage) on the same day PC Depot was having a sale on new ones.  So, I'll be installing Debian 9 and transferring the existing Debian 8 disk to backup duty after I copy off all the ongoing stuff.  Except the EFI partition I've set up on the new HDD is not being recognized by the Live CD installer.

I set up a 3Tb HDD using gpt with GParted and checked with fdisk:

sda1 = EFI System (FAT32), boot and esp flags are set

sda2 = ext4

When I attempt to install Debian 9 in the ext4 partition, it fails due to missing boot space.  I've tried formatting the HDD during setup but it appears as though it wants to wipe the entire disk and format it as a legacy device.  Since I don't yet have an installed system, installing grub-efi isn't possible.  Do I need to further define the use of the EFI system partition using fdisk?  I have found a couple of hints in that direction from non-Debian sources.  Most of the answers I find online seem to want me to know that if I'd just install Windows 10 first this would all be taken care of automatically.

Update to a previous post:

My work system is up and running.  You may have noticed a recent sharp dip in the world's supply of Stupid.  The fix for my non-working system was to take all the components back out of the box, disassemble everything, re-check for bent pins,  dirty contacts, and mounts, wipe all male contacts with contact cleaner, then reassemble s-l-o-w-l-y.  And it worked.

So, I have a working system and absolutely no idea why I didn't previously.  But, it does now.

CL