Re: [tlug] The TLUG / Gmail Adventure

On 12/15/2017 08:04 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:
I can't remember why I have this, but my incoming server is the same
as Darren's.  But my outgoing is:

Server name:  smtp.gmail.com
Port:  587
User name:  Same as my login name, but without the "@gmail.com"
Authentication method:  Normal password
Connection security:  STARTTLS
Server name is selected in the outgoing account settings page on the account settings page for each account. For some reason I remember having a really hard time finding this. It can be different for each email. I have both gmail and non-gmail accounts on my Thunderbird under Ubuntu 12.04. For the gmail account it's smtp.gmail.com and the protocal is SMTP. My Connection Security is SSL/TLS and it's working ok.

I think it discovers your outgoing mail protocol. You add your server to the Outgoing Mail Server pull down on the account page then select it from the same pull down.

I have a diffefrent non-gmail account that uses SSLTLS for Pop protocol.

I remember having problems getting non-gmail and gmail working from Thunderbird but I only have one gmail account.

Hope this is some help...

Steve S.