Re: [tlug] The TLUG / Gmail Adventure

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> and some other mail. For the past several days, my TLUG account has been
>> inaccessible on Thunderbird due to a rejected password.  All attempts to enter
>> and save said P/W result in a loop telling me to type in my P/W and a popup
>> telling me to log in one time with my browser.  This is not happening with any
>> of the other Gmail accounts...
>
> You have other gmail accounts in Thunderbird working?
>
> I've got one set up in Thunderbird. It is set for imap.googlemail.com,
> port 993, using SSL/TLS and Normal password. Username is the email
> address, including the @ and domain name.
> Outgoing server is smtp.googlemail.com, port 465, same username and
> using SSL/TLS and Normal password.

I can't remember why I have this, but my incoming server is the same
as Darren's.  But my outgoing is:

Server name:  smtp.gmail.com
Port:  587
User name:  Same as my login name, but without the "@gmail.com"
Authentication method:  Normal password
Connection security:  STARTTLS

CL...are you getting the problem when you check e-mail or when you
send e-mail?  Knowing which might help figure out which server's
settings (incoming or outgoing) is acting up.

And I don't know if there is some keyring that is helping Thunderbird
store passwords.  Maybe that is the one causing you problems?

I previously had problems with Kubuntu's keyring and it kept asking me
for the password.  I can't remember the details, but I think it
happened with either the web browser or Thunderbird...it depended on
which program I opened first after logging in.  (Though, to be frank,
I only vaguely remember my problem.  I think I erased my KDE
configuration directory out of frustrating...starting from scratch
helped.  :-) )

Ray