Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Kevin Sullivan <kts@example.com> wrote:
> And the numbers are in.
>
> Base config uses
> Cable box + Cable modem +Airport router + printer on standby + running
> server: about 135w
> Monitor (big...) +40-50w
> Desk Light +10w
> external DVD +1-2w
> Speakers +5-10w
> Total about 195w
>
> Add in the W10 i7 with 8 cores running SETI, spinning up 5 drives and
> cooling fans... it peaks on boot over 400w
>
> And run SETI using the GPU (225w total) +80 or so.
>
> Everything running as I wish if power weren't an issue: about 450w. That
> sucks (Silicon Cash eater!)

Well...
That is your full power-on usage. Still missing is the standby (i.e.
no SETI and you are sleeping, so nothing else) numbers...

This can rationalize investing in more power-friendly new hardware or
not. Simply not running SETI and configuring DPMS, etc off may be
enough.
Or are you asking for a cheap way (HW+power) to run SETI??

Kalin.