[tlug] remote access to server

    Kevin> Howdy. Have my Debian LAMP webserver up and running again
    Kevin> mostly.  Router firewall had Port Forwarding to my server
    Kevin> on static IP with :22, 80, 443 open.

    Kevin> However, a tour of /var/log/auth.log showed persistent
    Kevin> efforts to log in as root from 3 IP's in China according to
    Kevin> whois: 61.177.172.54 116.31.116.14 182.100.67.120 Port :22
    Kevin> is now closed before they get around to guessing my
    Kevin> non-root super-user name and pw.

    Kevin> What methods allow relatively secure remote login for admin
    Kevin> purposes from outside the local lan? Noobie here on the
    Kevin> finer points of sysadmin and running a webserver from home
    Kevin> open to the big bad world out there.

Switch off password login via ssh and use Public/Private keys for
authentication. I just googled "ssh password login disable" and found
this informative site:
https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH

Regards

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|