[tlug] remote access to server

Howdy. Have my Debian LAMP webserver up and running again mostly.

Router firewall had Port Forwarding to my server on static IP with :22, 80, 443 open.

However, a tour of /var/log/auth.log showed persistent efforts to log in as root from 3 IP's in China according to whois:
61.177.172.54
116.31.116.14
182.100.67.120
Port :22 is now closed before they get around to guessing my non-root super-user name and pw.

What methods allow relatively secure remote login for admin purposes from outside the local lan? Noobie here on the finer points of sysadmin and running a webserver from home open to the big bad world out there.

Kevin Sullivan