Re: [tlug] Um, so... systemd?

On 01/17/2017 07:11 PM, AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai wrote:
Odd,  I've source packaged systemd as a second init side by side with
simpleinit and spent less than 5 hours going from blank slate to a
bootable minimal installation of systemd that I then proceeded to use
with original init scripts as fallback.

The only issue I had was when I needed to set linear precedence of
scripted operations.
as they usually began running in parallel which meant merging the
scripts into something a bit monstrous.
it was easier to custom write systemd units modified from a template for
me at least.

And all this was my first foray into dealing with init.

I've also been considering to do it again to build a custom stripped
down virtual machine core for a minimal "systemd + python" only setup
just to test a theory I have.

Would anyone find that useful?

This is a bit like kvm instances with rkt. They already have minimal OS setup (stage1) you an run docker container on.[1]

Edward

1. https://coreos.com/rkt/docs/latest/running-kvm-stage1.html