Re: [tlug] systemd opinions for a web server?

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> I would be much more worried about the changes from Apache 2.2 to 2.4
> than I would of the changes from init to systemd. It took me *ages* to
> sort out the configuration syntax changes, in particular the changes to
> virtual host configuration.

And logging changes, which might also be the thing you notice most about
the switch to systemd.

This was the most disturbing for me as I explained... When I got a console,
there was no /var/log/syslog.

This just mean that while systemd is working you will have to manage differently the view of your logs.

Or said differently: You cannot "cat somefile". It is inside the system, and a command will get you the logs.
Just the same as when I used Windows.

I am probably "old fashion", but I prefer to view logs, especially during the boot sequence. and I prefer the system to wait before resigning for the boot, and of course, in case of failure, to view the last error.
systemd does not give it: the failing startup script will not be shown easily.

br.

PS. I am not sure if I am banned, and published, therefore I would like to know if writing here is just a loss of time.
PPS. I ask the moderator to inform me on this issue (informing the list could be good too : after all they should know, the list is theirs - they have to know I am banned)

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.