Re: [tlug] Looking for Summer Internship in Japan

Josh, you did not read my post carefully enough.

First, I made it clear that the practise applies to non-US, non-AU, non-CA, non-NZ, non-EU spouses only. If your sister is a US-citizen, then quite evidently this is not a counter example because she does not fall under the discriminatory German immigration law.

Second, if you read my post again, you may find that I said "the state bordering Switzerland". This tells you that German law is not equally applied across all German states. The State of Baden-Wuerttemberg which borders Switzerland applies the law in such a manner that the language exam must be taken and passed before a visa is granted. I have this IN WRITING from the Inner Ministry of the State of Baden-Wuerttmeberg in Stuttgart.

If you go 300 km further North, to Frankfurt, which is in the State of Hessen, they apply the law differently and grant a temporary visa and demand that you enroll and attend a German course and document steady progress until you do the exam eventually. This is not the practice in Baden-Wuerttemberg though and it would be too far to commute to work in Switzerland from any other German state.

hope this clarifies
regards
benjamin