Re: [tlug] Looking for Summer Internship in Japan

> Anyway, back to IT.  The IT field isn't as pretty as it use to be...I
> can't remember when it *was* pretty, actually.  :-)

Too bad you didn't experience the time when IT (for me programmers)
was pretty.

As I have been in this industry for 3 decades now, I can remember when it
was pretty - programmers were respected and the money was good.
I am not sure if this is true for everyone, but it was good for me for sure.
I told this at the meeting yesterday that I took this career path because
of a couple of hippies in at the company I was working then, and I wanted
to be cool like them. It's for real! My life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't
meet them.

I started with 8 bit cpu assembly, and after a few years, I got a lab programmer
job at one large electric company. It was nice as I could work on SunOS (later
became Solaris) on Sun Workstations which most programmers then could only
dream of. I enjoyed writing unix apps, mostly X-Window GUI.

Nowadays we have Linux runs on PC so anyone can have a ball.
That was the time of my life, and life was sooo good. Was it because there
were not enough programmers  30 years ago? Probably. I didn't see any Indian
nor Chinese nor Phillipino programmers, and there was no such thing
like offshore
outsourcing.

Sorry for the derailing.

-Yoshi