Re: [tlug] (off-topic) Unlimited data plan (mobile internet access) in Japan

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 01:42:21PM +0100, Darren Cook wrote:

> In the U.K., the government has to resort to "rural incentives", because
> the big companies won't go there (because, of course, they are legally
> obliged to make a profit for their shareholders). [..]

Does it mean that is in the law?
I understand it as capitalist principle, but was not aware of ob-
ligation by law.

> Bandwidth is the wrong measure of a country's internettiness. All it
> does is mean people download the HD version from Youtube instead of a
> lighter version, and unless they happen to compare side-by-side, it is
> wasted on them. A better measure is what % of houses have enough
> bandwidth to connect to YouTube. IMHO.

In Germany, also other things are relevant in that area.
Providers of "ip over tv cable" are about to start bandwidth
limiting after 10GB of used volume.  They have it since years in
the contract, just not activated.  Also the biggest DSL provider
starts rumours to limit after 100GB of traffic.

Since one DSL provider is so much bigger than the other, others
seem to have hard times to peer with him - instead they are con-
sidered as 'downstream' and have to pay.  So besides besides
pure bandwidth of the 'last mile', also the details of the back-
bone of the ISP are interesting..

Chris