Re: [tlug] (off-topic) Unlimited data plan (mobile internet access) in Japan

On 1 September 2014 23:09, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

> [Quoth Josh:]
>
>> Now *that* is a fantastic deal! I really miss Japan; I pay around
>> 6000 yen here for bloody 24 Mbps down / "2" Mbps up (meaning 0.6, of
>> course) DSL. :(
>
> You're comparing apples and oranges. wi2-300 is for using in cafes,
> restaurants, hairdressers, etc. I suspect it is partly subsidized by the
> shops.

For apples to apples, how about this: Keith told me he's paying around
5000 a month (tashika ni) for 1GB fibre. What do you pay for your
B-FLETS (or whatever NTT in its various guises is branding fibre for
these days)?

> And it is public wifi, with all the security risks that entails.

If you're not encrypting your traffic, you're always taking a risk, no
matter what network you're using.

Cheers,
Josh