Re: [tlug] (off-topic) Unlimited data plan (mobile internet access) in Japan

On Sep 2, 2014, at 6:09 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> You're comparing apples and oranges. wi2-300 is for using in cafes,
> restaurants, hairdressers, etc. I suspect it is partly subsidized by the
> shops.

I wish I understood how this works, business-wise.

For example, if I had simply asked the owners of the pension where I was staying for the password to their WiFi, rather than paying Wi2-300 for access to it, would they have refused a paying guest?  I tend to doubt it.  Same goes for the cafes, restaurants, etc.

What value is it, exactly, that Wi2-300 is adding, aside from a nice online map/database showing who has public WiFi?

Drew