Re: [tlug] (off-topic) Unlimited data plan (mobile internet access) in Japan

>> wi2-300 is for using in cafes, restaurants, hairdressers, etc. I
>> suspect it is partly subsidized by the shops.
>
> I wish I understood how this works, business-wise.
>
> For example, if I had simply asked the owners of the pension where I
> was staying for the password to their WiFi, rather than paying
> Wi2-300 for access to it, ...

It is a wi2-300 router/connection, not the pension's. So you might scan
and see "MaiRyokan", "wi2", "wi2premium_club", "docomo", "au_kddi". If
the pension gave you a username/password you use the first one. if you
use wi2-300 you use the third one, and give your wi2 username/password.
If on your docomo phone, you use the 4th one, etc.

The service Fernando described, boingo, looks to be a business model
around using existing wifi. Their business model would be convenience: I
pay them $10/month rather than $8/month to one service, $5/month to
another service provider, etc. and then I'm hopefully covered wherever I go.

Darren

P.S. I took a look at boingo for the U.K., and they are mainly giving
you BT-Openzone, then a smattering of cafes and hotels. At £10/month
they are way cheaper than BT themselves, who charge: £4/hr, £10/day, £25
for 5 days, or £39 for 30 days.  (Coming down to £15/month if paying for
12 months.)