Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 14.04 Setup, Keyboard Toggling for Jp-En, Etc

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 02:23:40PM +0900, rost52 wrote:
>
> Maybe you are hitting
> https://code.google.com/p/mozc/issues/detail?id=201 .
> According to this, the 'direct input' is enabled by default
> and not 'hiragana' as one would expect.
> Once you select mozc, do you see a box with 'A'?
>
> I am hit by this on Fedora, seems like no nice way
> around it for the moment, so I am trying out kkc.

Back when I was using Suse about... ten years ago I think it was - you
just selected "Primary Language" (English) and "Secondary Language"
(Japanese) and it worked with no further modifications.  But since
then... why is Japanese input so consistently broken?  At least in
Ubuntu 14.04 it's much improved over 12.04, but still you have to make
modifications for things to work correctly.  I find myself wondering
if it's sabotage?  How can this be so messed up so consistently?

In any case, I ran another test (Japanese-language) install, and
things seemed to work OK this way:

1) Install Ubuntu 14.04LTS
2) With first boot immediately add missing English (which you will
need to enter passwords and use the computer).
3) Delete mysterious extra something (other than Anthy) so there are
only two things to toggle back and forth to (Japanese and English).
4) Change dysfunctional keyboard shortcut for toggling back and forth
from English to Japanese from strange default settings to
[Ctrl]+[Shift].
5) Turn off password locked screen-saver.

After that, it all seemed to be working well.

But again - why is this so persistently screwed up year-after-year-after-year?

Lyle